Why Hobbies Are an Important Part of Your Stay Sober Plan
Whatever your age and wherever you are in your recovery, hobbies can provide a healthy distraction and ensure your new sober life is a fulfilling life. One of the perks of getting sober is having more time to enjoy the things you love and to discover new joys – and hobbies can help you do just that and more. In addition to filling a void that you may feel in the absence of drugs and/or alcohol, hobbies can help you rediscover your passions and realign yourself with like-minded people who can become part of your new support system.
What’s more, having a hobby as an adult has been linked to some hefty mental heath benefits. Hobbies can help you or someone you love in recovery to:
- Reduce stress, depression and anxiety
- Prevent loneliness
- Stay in the present
- Boost self-confidence
- Exercise the brain
- Express creativity
- Enhance social connections
Which Hobby Is Best for You and Your Recovery?
Picking a hobby that best fits your likes and goals is a personal choice. Experts suggest answering the following questions to help you narrow down a few choices:
- What are your current interests or what were you once interested in? Many experts suggest starting with something that you loved as a child and then figure out how to turn that into a hobby.
- What are you currently missing? For example, relaxation or competition or social time – and which hobby would fill that gap?
- How can your hobby help your health? Are you looking to get fit or improve your memory or spend more time in nature?
- What are you good at or what skill would you like to learn? Sticking with a hobby is a surefire way to boost a skill set.
- What kind of people would you like to spend time with? Hobbies are a great way to meet new people and form new social connections.
A New Sober Life
By embarking on recovery, you’re embarking on a new sober life filled with new discoveries, passions and hobbies. At Guardian IOP, we’re committed to helping our clients as they navigate the entire continuum of care and acquire the skills needed to lead a fulfilling, healthy sober life. To learn more about our treatment programs, call today: 855-517-1871.